Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10-12 # Café

Did I mention the Spanish like to stay out late? Yeah, it's worth reiterating!
So today we went out for coffee with the second group of Spaniards we've met (the first included Estibaliz, Sonia, Sonia, Maria, JPe, and Cristina, most of whom are done with school) which consists of Dani, Iván, Ismael, Raúl, Sarah, and Miguel. These guys are really good at English, some of them I would even call fluent!
Anyway, we met with them at about 6 o'clock for coffee, finally got everyone there around 6:15 (as is the typical Spanish fashion), and went to get some coffee. However, we ended up staying out until 9:30! I was definitely not expecting to be out that long, but coffee is quite the involved process over here :-).

Throughout our previous interactions with these guys, we'd already realized that they know a surprising amount of American pop culture. From video games to artist to movies.
Yes, that's Lady Gaga. They like her, and not just her music. ¿?
It's really funny talking to them and learning about the subtle differences between views on things like age-appropriateness of cartoons. For example, we were avidly told that shows like Dragon Ball Z are not for kids (as their content is too mature) but are for the older crowd, a view not shared by most Americans (except for Eric VanDenover and my floor last year :-) ).
At one point, two of the guys (Iván y Dani, the comedians) started singing Brittany Spears Hit Me Baby, One More Time and then proceeded to pretended to hit each other. It was quite an entertaining night.
Practicing with the Spaniard students is probably the best grammar/vocab lesson I get, because they speak enough English to help us clarify any concepts we're just not quite getting in Spanish, and they correct us when we make mistakes. I can't wait to go out with them again!

1 comment: