Today we had an amazing time in Cáceres. The day was highlighted with a mountain, a siesta, a concert, and fiestas!
We took a car up a tall mountain that stands to the side of Cáceres to see the city from above. When we first got there, we saw “La Virgen de la Montana” - and I thought we were in Rio de Janeiro! This statue was really cool, and made me want to go to Rio.
From the top of the mountain we were treated with wonderful views. I would try to explain them to you, but I feel these pictures will do much more justice! We also saw some people who had just finished with a wedding in the church at the top of the mountain. They were dressed really really nice, like take a normal wedding here and add a bit of pizzazz.
I took some photos of the university from up there and a panorama of the city (up until the rock that got in my way)
| The CD for the panorama program is in the US, and the free version killed the quality. Sorry! |
Today was my first siesta where I actually napped. I have to say, sleeping during the middle of the day is the most amazing thing ever! It definitely gives you a rejuvenation, but when you didn’t wake up until around 11 and the siesta is at 2, it’s a little weird :-).
Toñi took us to see Toñita (her daughter) perform in a chorus. The acoustics of the cathedral that we were in were amazing! If you click on the image below you can watch and listen to some of the singing yourself.


Finally we learned why the Spanish take siestas. They apparently don’t lie to us in school when they say that the Spanish go out to meet with friends at 12 or 1am, they aren’t kidding! Neither are they pulling our legs when they say they come back home around 7 or 8! We, as Americans, of course went out around 11 and came back around 5 and 6, but still that was much later than any of us are used to being awake!
However, fatigue aside, it was an amazing night. We got to practice hoards of Spanish, experience life as a Spanish youth, and meet lots of our English-learning guides’ friends. Though I have to tell you, I’m not so sure Spanish bars are my thing!
No comments:
Post a Comment