Saturday, September 18, 2010

9-16 # Welche Sprache sprechen Sie?

In the course of two hours, I have gotten to speak with people in three different languages J.
My flight through Amsterdam didn’t give me enough time to get through customs, etc. so I missed my flight to Madrid. Luckily, there was another one leaving not 3 hours later. In this added time in the Netherlands, I decided to explore a bit! I obviously got to speak English (1) in this international airport. Then, while speaking to one information lady I got to use my German (2). I told her it was a bummer everyone spoke English, because I wanted to practice some German. Guess what!? Not only did she, as some other Dutch residents had told me earlier, understand German due to her Dutch, but she spoke it in and of itself! It was quite exciting to be able to ask for information in German J. And finally, and this one is kind of cheating, I got to speak some Dutch (3). Some simple words are the same between the two languages, but when I ordered my smoothie, I used Dutch thank-you’s and yes/no’s.
Sadly, I still haven’t used Spanish yet. But being able to complete tasks like that in German and DUTCH makes me >much< more confident in my functional-Spanish ability.
Oh, and for those back home: I haven’t seen a single windmill or Dutch person with wooden shoes yet J.

Well, I finally got to the airport and met with my group. At first, our program director (Toñi) wasn't there, so we all just relaxed as best we could. When Toñi got there, Michael still hadn't arrived, so we all got a little worried he wasn't going to make it. Luckily, he did just in time to leave with us.
Meeting at the airport. I think Ivy is growling at the camera :-)
As we traveled west to Cáceres, we stopped at a gas station/diner to grab a bite to eat. Toñi ordered us some pretty amazing food. However, we let Kayla take the first bite to make sure it was good.
Kayla tries the food
Some jamón (cured ham)

The pictures to the left was taken as she still decided, but the next face she made assured us it was amazing. I tried it, and it was pretty great! We had a total of about 4 different types of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment